Jacob Browning, Director
What We Do
The purpose of a senior citizens center is to be a community focal point where older adults that are 60 years and over can come together for a variety of individual and group services and activities that reflect their experience and skills; provide nutritionally sound meals; respond to their diverse needs and interests; encourage their involvement within the center and the community; enhance their dignity and quality of life; provide various forms of assistance to enable them to live healthy and independent as long as possible.
- Senior Center Staff create an atmosphere that acknowledges the value of human life, affirms the dignity and self-worth of the older adult participant and maintains a climate of respect, trust and support. Within this atmosphere, the staff creates opportunities for older adults to apply their wisdom, experience and insight and to learn new skills.
- A senior center provides a nutritious lunch meal, served either in the senior center congregate dining room or a hot meal delivered in a heated truck to those sick, frail and homebound individuals.
- A senior center provides transportation for those that can no longer drive or who feel unsteady, to and from the senior center’s congregate meal programs, shopping trips, doctor/hospital appointments and/or other needed destinations to further their independence.
- A senior center provides exercise for both the body and the brain and offers opportunities to interact with other seniors socially.
- A senior center serves as a resource center for the entire community, offering a system that links participants to services and educational opportunities within the boundaries of the center or referral to resources offered by other community agencies.
- A senior center offers information to family members on aging; educational seminars; support groups for family caregivers, bereavement, Parkinson Disease, and other afflictions; training for professional, lay leaders and students; and for development of innovative approaches to addressing aging issues.